Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community
Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Roadrunner52 is offline Warming Up
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    79

    On and off ankle/achilles pain

    I've been having this on and off pain in my left Achilles tendon. It gets pretty bad at times and it often hurts when I don't move around for long periods of time because I guess it gets stiff. If I don't run for a day or two I'm usually fine, but whenever I run it either hurts minimally to a lot while I'm running, and always hurts at least a little bit thereafter. As I said, it's behind my ankle on the left, where my Achilles tendon is, and feels like a strained feeling. It's swollen and I usually ice it which I think helps, but the swelling is still there. This has been going on for a couple weeks now, but I can't pinpoint an exact time that it happened. It wasn't an injury that I sustained at a certain point. Any idea what it is? What can I do to fix it (I really don't want to stop working out/running...but if I really have to I guess I will)?

  2. Google
  3. #2
    illiniphase4 is offline Third Set
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner52 View Post
    I've been having this on and off pain in my left Achilles tendon. It gets pretty bad at times and it often hurts when I don't move around for long periods of time because I guess it gets stiff. If I don't run for a day or two I'm usually fine, but whenever I run it either hurts minimally to a lot while I'm running, and always hurts at least a little bit thereafter. As I said, it's behind my ankle on the left, where my Achilles tendon is, and feels like a strained feeling. It's swollen and I usually ice it which I think helps, but the swelling is still there. This has been going on for a couple weeks now, but I can't pinpoint an exact time that it happened. It wasn't an injury that I sustained at a certain point. Any idea what it is? What can I do to fix it (I really don't want to stop working out/running...but if I really have to I guess I will)?
    Sounds like you could have an Achilles strain, or possibly an ankle sprain. If it's been swollen for a couple of weeks then STOP RUNNING ON IT ! And try to stay off your feet as much as possible outside of going to and doing your job.

    You need to give it some real rest... take a week off, with plenty of ice, compression, and elevation. If it is a mild grade sprain or strain, you should see the swelling start to go down after the first 48 hours, and you can then stop with the cold therapy and start with heat therapy. If the swelling does not go down, get to a doc.

    In all reality, if you've had noticeable swelling for two weeks already, you might just want to skip all of this and get straight to the doc. If you already have a grade 2 Achilles strain (the tendon is torn but has not yet parted) you need to get medical attention. That joint sees a lot of action throughout the normal course of daily life, and you don't want an already destabilized Achilles (if that's what the problem really is) to tear completely. But first things first, stop running. I got to see a grade 3 Achilles tear once and it's one of the few times a sports injury has made me throw up.

  4. #3
    Roadrunner52 is offline Warming Up
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by illiniphase4 View Post
    Sounds like you could have an Achilles strain, or possibly an ankle sprain. If it's been swollen for a couple of weeks then STOP RUNNING ON IT ! And try to stay off your feet as much as possible outside of going to and doing your job.

    You need to give it some real rest... take a week off, with plenty of ice, compression, and elevation. If it is a mild grade sprain or strain, you should see the swelling start to go down after the first 48 hours, and you can then stop with the cold therapy and start with heat therapy. If the swelling does not go down, get to a doc.

    In all reality, if you've had noticeable swelling for two weeks already, you might just want to skip all of this and get straight to the doc. If you already have a grade 2 Achilles strain (the tendon is torn but has not yet parted) you need to get medical attention. That joint sees a lot of action throughout the normal course of daily life, and you don't want an already destabilized Achilles (if that's what the problem really is) to tear completely. But first things first, stop running. I got to see a grade 3 Achilles tear once and it's one of the few times a sports injury has made me throw up.
    Ok...well is there a way I can keep doing cardio? Would biking be bad? Biking doesn't hurt it....

    ps: any idea why it only hurts sometimes and not all the time, whether I'm running or not? The only time I noticed that I know it will hurt is if I'm immobile for long periods of time, in which case it gets stiff. Other than that, it hurts randomly, or so it seems

  5. #4
    illiniphase4 is offline Third Set
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner52 View Post
    Ok...well is there a way I can keep doing cardio? Would biking be bad? Biking doesn't hurt it....

    ps: any idea why it only hurts sometimes and not all the time, whether I'm running or not? The only time I noticed that I know it will hurt is if I'm immobile for long periods of time, in which case it gets stiff. Other than that, it hurts randomly, or so it seems
    If you are going to do cardio, try to stay away from anything that's going to make you have to flex at the ankle. As you don't bike with your heels on the pedals, you're going to be using your dorsi and plantar foot flexors quite a bit during cycling, so I'd steer clear of that. Your best bet would be swimming.

    As for your ankle hurting when you're not doing anything: when swelling occurs and you stop moving the swollen joint, the affected muscles can tighten up and blood can pool. That is part of the reason why it may hurt to move around after being immobile.

  6. #5
    Roadrunner52 is offline Warming Up
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by illiniphase4 View Post
    If you are going to do cardio, try to stay away from anything that's going to make you have to flex at the ankle. As you don't bike with your heels on the pedals, you're going to be using your dorsi and plantar foot flexors quite a bit during cycling, so I'd steer clear of that. Your best bet would be swimming.

    As for your ankle hurting when you're not doing anything: when swelling occurs and you stop moving the swollen joint, the affected muscles can tighten up and blood can pool. That is part of the reason why it may hurt to move around after being immobile.
    swimming isn't an option =( ....I don't know if I can mentally or physically handle a week off of cardio lol...My body reacts very drastically with any variation of diet/exercise....what about the elliptical? probably my last choice of cardio but something is better than nothing I guess..

  7. #6
    illiniphase4 is offline Third Set
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner52 View Post
    swimming isn't an option =( ....I don't know if I can mentally or physically handle a week off of cardio lol...My body reacts very drastically with any variation of diet/exercise....what about the elliptical? probably my last choice of cardio but something is better than nothing I guess..
    I you absolutely have to do some cardio out of water, your best best would probably be either a handwheel bike or stationary or recumbent bike with your feet slightly forward on the pedals. Take it easy though, and I hope your ankle injury clears up!

    If I were you I'd give it no more than another week with no improvement before you head to the doc about it.

  8. #7
    Roadrunner52 is offline Warming Up
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by illiniphase4 View Post
    I you absolutely have to do some cardio out of water, your best best would probably be either a handwheel bike or stationary or recumbent bike with your feet slightly forward on the pedals. Take it easy though, and I hope your ankle injury clears up!

    If I were you I'd give it no more than another week with no improvement before you head to the doc about it.
    Thanks a lot for the input. I'll do what I can. Probably make an appointment with the doctor regardless just to see what he says. I hate going though because they always make me stop working out (or doing cardio in this case) lol

Similar Threads

  1. Pain and stiffness in my calf and ankle
    By mouthuk in forum Injury Prevention and Recovery
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr. 23/09, 09:37 AM
  2. Ankle/Shin Pain
    By PrISM in forum Running and Cycling
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb. 21/09, 05:23 PM
  3. Achilles/calf pain
    By Shanrene in forum Running and Cycling
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jan. 21/07, 12:06 PM
  4. ankle pain
    By MetalGear101 in forum Running and Cycling
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Aug. 02/06, 06:52 AM
  5. Ankle Pain
    By RedT in forum Running and Cycling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb. 11/05, 12:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Members: 202,895
Threads: 47,607
Posts: 399,691
Top Poster: Karky (9,817)
Welcome to our newest member, ria92
15 year old boy- body...
Last post by klerik32 ( 1 Replies )
Yesterday 01:35 PM in Body Weight Training
Fish oil
Last post by Lee_Torre_GoogleMe ( 5 Replies )
Yesterday 11:10 AM in Supplements
How to shop for creatine.
Last post by Lee_Torre_GoogleMe ( 9 Replies )
Yesterday 11:04 AM in Supplements
Ryan's Journal
Last post by CrazyOldMan ( 1,181 Replies )
Yesterday 06:56 AM in Journal
Don't try this at home
Last post by CrazyOldMan ( 764 Replies )
Yesterday 06:50 AM in Journal

Body Building | Supplements | Weight Loss | Sports |