Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community
Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    FFlash is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4

    Eating Bread everyday?

    Is it bad to eat bread everyday? Even if it is Whole Wheat. Like I have Whole wheat bread, whole wheat tortillas and whole wheat pitas at home.

    1 Pita

    Cal - 150
    Fat - 1g
    Carb - 32g
    Protein - 6g

    1 Tortilla

    Cal - 190
    Fat - 5
    Carb - 31
    Protein - 6

    2 Bread slices

    Cal - 100
    Fat - 1
    Card - 18
    Protein - 3

  2. Google
  3. #2
    FFlash is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4
    I'm trying to lose fat. I usually eat 2 bread slices, and a tortilla or pita a day.

  4. #3
    willfred is offline Warming Up
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    43
    is that really too many??? ..

    i hate cooking rice so ALL my carbs come from bread, veggies etc

    i eat at least 4 to 6 slices of all natural 100% wheat bread from naturals. its 100calories per slice .... so right there is 600 cal lolz .

    but at least I dont eat no carbs after 6pm .... dinner is vegies and meat only

    and some fruits and cottage cheese after that ....

    what you guys think ?? too much bread for me ??

    it may seem a lot but I am still under my daily calorie intake !!

  5. #4
    MarkMyWords is offline I <3 BigTs Nipples
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    2,759
    I'm cutting right now, and have been losing bodyfat quite sucessfully. For carbs, I always have a half cup of oats for breakfast blended in my protein shake. Other than that, I keep my complex carbs limited to one more serving, if that. A piece of bread for a turkey sandwich...or some brown rice with some meat...but the rest of my carbs come from a piece of fruit post workout, and then just veggies later...been working excellently.

  6. #5
    malkore is offline Deceptimod
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    6,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Derwyddon View Post
    i would consider that too much.
    me too.
    no matter what you think, bread is made from processed flour and sugar...ergo CARBS.

    carbs should be reduced when cutting. and the carbs you do eat on a cut should be stuff like potatoes, brown rice, oatmeal...whole/complex carbs, not processed carbs.

  7. #6
    Xenth is offline First Set
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    197
    Well I personally love bread and eat 4 slices daily (340Kcal) and really don't think anything is wrong with it, unless you're on some kind of atkins diet or w/e

  8. #7
    malkore is offline Deceptimod
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    6,545
    Xenth,

    Think what you want, but the fact is bread has a higher glycemic index, because its processed flour.
    Oatmeal has a lower GI, because its a WHOLE GRAIN that hasn't been processed. For that same reason, I should clarifiy Steel Cut or Old Fashioned Oats...not 'instant' oatmeal, because it too has been processed and has a higher GI.

    The higher the GI, the more insulin you release. Over time you can become insulin resistant, and that's not good at all.

  9. #8
    Xenth is offline First Set
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by malkore View Post
    The higher the GI, the more insulin you release. Over time you can become insulin resistant, and that's not good at all.
    Could you clarify a little, I'm learning here

    But, what would be a good substitute for bread then seeing as most people (including myself) need something that's fast and easy to prepare and handy to eat.

  10. #9
    (Silent) is offline Verge of Overtraining
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenth View Post
    Could you clarify a little, I'm learning here

    But, what would be a good substitute for bread then seeing as most people (including myself) need something that's fast and easy to prepare and handy to eat.
    Since malkore is not online , ill try to answer this.

    The Glycemic index relates to how quickly sugars in foods are absorbed into the blood stream, Foods with higher GI ratings are absorbed more quickly and lower less quickly. 55 and below are the "good" foods 60-75 are foods that should be consumed in a limited fashion and anything over 80+ should be avoided whenever possible.

    White bread is rated at a very high of 95! These types of foods trigger Insulin spikes. Replace the bread with say a hand full of nuts which are unquestionably better for you. Aswell as being in the low 10-30rating range.

  11. #10
    Xenth is offline First Set
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by (Silent) View Post
    Since malkore is not online , ill try to answer this.

    The Glycemic index relates to how quickly sugars in foods are absorbed into the blood stream, Foods with higher GI ratings are absorbed more quickly and lower less quickly. 55 and below are the "good" foods 60-75 are foods that should be consumed in a limited fashion and anything over 80+ should be avoided whenever possible.

    White bread is rated at a very high of 95! These types of foods trigger Insulin spikes. Replace the bread with say a hand full of nuts which are unquestionably better for you. Aswell as being in the low 10-30rating range.
    But I never eat white bread, always whole weat.
    And I already eat 25Grams of walnuts a day to keep my fat% acceptable, however they don't really fill well.

  12. #11
    (Silent) is offline Verge of Overtraining
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenth View Post
    But I never eat white bread, always whole weat.
    If its refined and processed then it truly does not matter much, though could you list the ingredients of the bread please?

    If it was absolutely nothing but Whole wheat bread then its score would be a 67, however looking in the ingredient list will likely show many things added that will raise that score.
    Last edited by (Silent); Feb. 13/07 at 07:58 AM.

  13. #12
    Xenth is offline First Set
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by (Silent) View Post
    If its refined and processed then it truly does not matter much, though could you list the ingredients of the bread please?
    Translating this,

    Ingredients
    Water
    Wholeweat this stuff flower
    this stuff flower
    Bakers yeast
    Breadsalt
    Partially hardened plantlike oils
    Soy flower
    Dextrose

    Also,
    E322
    E471
    E482

    And it's day fresh

    Sorry, english terms are kinda hard when you don't know them

  14. #13
    (Silent) is offline Verge of Overtraining
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenth View Post
    Translating this,

    Ingredients
    Water
    Wholeweat this stuff flower
    this stuff flower
    Bakers yeast
    Breadsalt
    Partially hardened plantlike oils
    Soy flower
    Dextrose

    Also,
    E322
    E471
    E482

    And it's day fresh

    Sorry, english terms are kinda hard when you don't know them
    Alright if those ingredients are in order of how they show on the food then for the most part it is an alright food, although again anything above 55 should be used in limited fashion.

    One interesting note though the last ingredient (Dextrose) GI rating is between 85 and 110, so depending on how much they place in the bread then the GI rating for the bread goes up because of it.

    Usually at least in America the order of items on an ingredient list corresponds with amount placed in the food.

  15. #14
    Xenth is offline First Set
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by (Silent) View Post
    Alright if those ingredients are in order of how they show on the food then for the most part it is an alright food, although again anything above 55 should be used in limited fashion.

    One interesting note though the last ingredient (Dextrose) GI rating is between 85 and 110, so depending on how much they place in the bread then the GI rating for the bread goes up because of it.

    Usually at least in America the order of items on an ingredient list corresponds with amount placed in the food.
    Yup they are, left one thing out cause I had no idea how to translate it but it was a grain.

    So you're saying it's ok to eat around 4 slices a day then?

  16. #15
    (Silent) is offline Verge of Overtraining
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenth View Post
    Yup they are, left one thing out cause I had no idea how to translate it but it was a grain.

    So you're saying it's ok to eat around 4 slices a day then?
    ok lets think of the cumulative affect here. 30grams of Whole wheat bread is a rating of 67, lets just say that 30 grams is equal to 2 slices of bread. Now if you have four pieces of bread that would be a total GI rating of 134. so in essence Four pieces of bread all in one meal is way to much. However if say it was spread throughout the day it would be less of an impact. I personally think 2 pieces should be your limit on daily intake. after all The bread is not really doing anything good for you. ( If the yeast in the bread was refined/processed then it would no longer give support to the good bacteria in your digestive track )

    I personally would like to hear Malkores thoughts on this one.

    Edit
    And of course anyone els who has more knowledge on the subject
    Last edited by (Silent); Feb. 13/07 at 09:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Should i do abs everyday
    By Cole_14 in forum Body Building
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Apr. 19/06, 08:24 AM
  2. Abs everyday bad?
    By Dukes in forum Body Building
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr. 08/06, 06:34 AM
  3. Is eating white and brown bread bad?
    By Goldy in forum Healthy Recipes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Mar. 10/06, 02:42 PM
  4. i see this everyday at my gym!!!
    By klutch_21 in forum Weight Training
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jun. 23/04, 03:23 PM
  5. Is wholemeal bread wholeGRAIN bread?
    By mmmmmmm in forum Nutrition
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May. 02/04, 01:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Members: 203,027
Threads: 47,618
Posts: 399,779
Top Poster: Karky (9,817)
Welcome to our newest member, EWieck
New here
Last post by CEGCA ( 5 Replies )
Yesterday 08:51 AM in New Member Intro
Newbie in whey protein
Last post by HarukoJay ( 0 Replies )
Yesterday 02:34 AM in New Member Intro
Don't try this at home
Last post by Goldfish ( 781 Replies )
Sep. 19/14 10:46 PM in Journal
Ryan's Journal
Last post by Goldfish ( 1,192 Replies )
Sep. 19/14 10:30 PM in Journal
Hello.Is anybody here....
Last post by palufitness ( 2 Replies )
Sep. 19/14 07:27 PM in New Member Intro

Body Building | Supplements | Weight Loss | Sports |