Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community
Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Lettuce is offline First Set
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Moonville, NJ
    Posts
    156

    Why does fiber make you gassy?

    Why is it that fiberous foods give you loads of flatus and how come it happens so fast?

    Yesterday I had a Fiber One bar as part of my breakfast (keep in mind I haven't been eating high fiber foods) and within about a hour or so, I had horrible gas pangs and flatus. I had one serving of FiberOne Caramel cerial this morning and within about the same time span I had gas pangs and flatus again. I may have just screwed myself out of the bed by having a second bowl with dinner.

    Why does this happen?

  2. Google
  3. #2
    matt182 is offline Needs to Deload
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,717
    Because what you ate was unable to digest in your small intestine.
    Then it passed into your large intestine - undergoing microbial fermentation.
    The bacteria have enzymes capable of digesting otherwise undigestible foods but as a consequence releases a number of different gases one of which as an odour - hydrogen sulphate.
    Last edited by matt182; Jan. 08/08 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling oops

  4. #3
    Lettuce is offline First Set
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Moonville, NJ
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by matt182 View Post
    Because what you ate was unable to digest in your small intestine.
    Then it passed into your large intestine - undergoing microbial fermentation.
    The bacteria have enzymes capable of digesting otherwise undigestible foods but as a consequence releases a number of different gases one of which as an odour - hydrogen sulphate.
    But why did it happen so fast? I mean, it took about 20 hours to pass a meal I had the other night (I know cause it included corn, another indigestable food). How it is that fiber goes thru you so quickly and the gasses even faster? I'm passing the gasses caused by a food I ate only a few hours ago, all while it'll be another 10+ hours before I pass the food itself?



    On another note, my wife picked up this suppliment the other day, supposedly, it's fiber without the gas effects. She has been taking it for 2-3 days and I'm the one stinking her out of the room. LOL!!

    Side note: This is great. I can let my inner child out and talk about farts! LOL!!!

  5. #4
    matt182 is offline Needs to Deload
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,717
    are you saying your guilty of doing a number 2 everyday!

    Dont get passing and digesting mixed up because they arnt very good indicators of each other. When you eat, the food doesnt just shoot through your system poop it out within 10 hours as you say. The gas occurs quick because it can easily escape out from your body, the faeces however is stored in the sigmoid colon. When there is enough faecel material in your sigmoid it stretches the sense receptors which give you the sense of needing to poop.

  6. #5
    Lettuce is offline First Set
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Moonville, NJ
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by matt182 View Post
    are you saying your guilty of doing a number 2 everyday!
    Actually, I'm guilty of 2 number 2's a day.


    Dont get passing and digesting mixed up because they arnt very good indicators of each other. When you eat, the food doesnt just shoot through your system poop it out within 10 hours as you say. The gas occurs quick because it can easily escape out from your body, the faeces however is stored in the sigmoid colon. When there is enough faecel material in your sigmoid it stretches the sense receptors which give you the sense of needing to poop.
    It took a little under 20 hours for my KFC big bowl to come back out, if my calculations were correct.

  7. #6
    matt182 is offline Needs to Deload
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,717
    i couldnt imagine hohw inconvenient that must be

    If i wanted to i could go without a whole week!

  8. #7
    Lettuce is offline First Set
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Moonville, NJ
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by matt182 View Post
    i couldnt imagine hohw inconvenient that must be

    If i wanted to i could go without a whole week!
    Inconvenient? It gets me away from work. I make sure to save them for when I'm on the clock. I get paid **** for taking a ****! LOL!!!

  9. #8
    calcium is offline Verge of Overtraining
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lisle, IL
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by matt182 View Post
    i couldnt imagine hohw inconvenient that must be

    If i wanted to i could go without a whole week!
    Me too....I've done it!

    Lettuce - It might not be the fiber in the cereal and the bars. You could be lactose intolerant or be reacting to the soy ingredients.

  10. #9
    philsaigon is offline Third Set
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
    Actually, I'm guilty of 2 number 2's a day.
    Me too, consistently. And on days when it's only once, I hafta make sure it's a toilet with a powerful flusher!

    Quote Originally Posted by calcium View Post
    Me too....I've done it!
    That can't be comfortable or good for you either

  11. #10
    Lettuce is offline First Set
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Moonville, NJ
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by philsaigon View Post
    Me too, consistently. And on days when it's only once, I hafta make sure it's a toilet with a powerful flusher!
    Damn skippy! That was today actually. LOL!!!


    That can't be comfortable or good for you either
    +1

    WTF?! I would be rather concerned if I didn't poo more than once a week.

    You should poo between 3 times a week and 3 times a day. I, personally, would not enjoy more than 2 poo's a day.



    BTW, I'm not lactose intolerant nor do I have a problem with soy products. I did think of that as well, but any other time I have either of those, I don't have this problem. It's strictly with fiber rich foods.

  12. #11
    Typhon is offline Chicken Plucker
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,316
    Quote Originally Posted by matt182 View Post
    i couldnt imagine hohw inconvenient that must be

    If i wanted to i could go without a whole week!
    Wow, that must be really bad for your gut. I go at least twice a day, sometimes 3 if I'm eating hard. It's good to clear out your bowels frequently

  13. #12
    calcium is offline Verge of Overtraining
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lisle, IL
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by philsaigon View Post

    That can't be comfortable or good for you either
    At the time I was in traction and if I went I would have had to go in a bucket with the assistence of a nurse. I don't think an experience like that would have been good! So I held it and refused to take the laxatives they were trying to give me.

  14. #13
    calcium is offline Verge of Overtraining
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lisle, IL
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post


    BTW, I'm not lactose intolerant nor do I have a problem with soy products. I did think of that as well, but any other time I have either of those, I don't have this problem. It's strictly with fiber rich foods.

    What other foods other than this brand do you have problems with?

  15. #14
    vojdancov is offline Second Set
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    461
    Having the same problem here. Oats give me horrible problems. Other fibrous carbs also give me problems. But I was wondering, is there anything that I can do about it besides stopping eating them?

  16. #15
    Lettuce is offline First Set
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Moonville, NJ
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by calcium View Post
    What other foods other than this brand do you have problems with?
    Nothing. Just any food I eat that is full of fiber gives me horrible gas. My wife has the same problem as well, so, she started taking this suppliment they talked about in Womens Health. I can't remember what it is called off the top of my head, but it's full of fiber and doesn't give you the gassy side-effects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fiber supplement that doesn't cause gas
    By calcium in forum Nutrition
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Mar. 09/09, 08:55 AM
  2. Bad to mix protein and fiber?
    By WelterWeight170 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Dec. 10/08, 04:24 PM
  3. Fiber questions
    By LeslieT06 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Sep. 12/06, 08:01 AM
  4. fiber??
    By quia_pius_es in forum Nutrition
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Aug. 17/06, 11:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Which idea do you like most?
Smart-Locks
0%
Sleep-Aid Shake
0%
Social Fitness Challenge
0%
Total Votes: 0
You may not vote on this poll.
Members: 203,358
Threads: 47,604
Posts: 399,362
Top Poster: Karky (9,801)
Welcome to our newest member, urquia74
Ryan's Journal
Last post by Goldfish ( 1,221 Replies )
Today 02:30 AM in Journal
How to get ripped, not...
Last post by Goldfish ( 3 Replies )
Today 02:28 AM in Weight Training
Cardio burning muscle...
Last post by jcizz ( 3 Replies )
Yesterday 11:03 AM in Personal Training
cycling vs. running
Last post by Apathizer ( 84 Replies )
Yesterday 10:13 AM in Running and Cycling
Don't try this at home
Last post by CrazyOldMan ( 803 Replies )
Yesterday 05:41 AM in Journal

Body Building | Supplements | Weight Loss | Sports |