Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community
Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    irishguy is offline Warming Up
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    31

    Is running bad for muscle growth?

    I'm lifting M/W/F, running 3 miles on T/Th/Sa and resting on Sundays.

    Is running going to hinder my muscle growth? I'm going to be increasing the running too, as I'm training for a 10k race.

    How can I get bigger and be a good runner at the same time?

  2. Google
  3. #2
    Joey007 is offline Third Set
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ~ 90210
    Posts
    566
    excessive cardio yes.

    because cardio does cause muscle loss.

    look at hardcore runners, they are often perceived as slim and slender.

  4. #3
    Merciless is offline Fourth Set
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Building A Fortress
    Posts
    1,095
    Joey, I saw your argument about this a few weeks back. With all do respect, I'm going to have to disagree with you.

    I don't think that running causes muscle loss. I think the main issue is having enough calories to compensate for the extra calorie loss. If you don't, then muscle mass will be broken down to fuel your body as they need to come from somewhere.

    If you eat enough then your body will not need to break down the lean muscle, so both will be attainable.

    Neil Laverty is a prime example of this and he does cardio like a machine and hes in great shape and size.

    Think about it. Why do boxers, martial artists, rugby players, gymnasts, dancers, the list is endless of people who add some pounds of muscle and keep a high level of CV fitness.

    Only doing weights is being lazy, IMO. Why would you want to LOOK healthy and not really BE healthy?

    Just my 2 cents...

  5. #4
    Cnatboy is offline First Set
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    137
    Long term cardio... meaning 30 minutes plus burns fat, but it also burns some muscle, this has been proven. Are there exceptions? Yes.

    I'd say your best bet is to try HIIT if you want to burn fat and put on muscle since it has been shown to burn much more fat than long cardio sessions, take less time, and it doesn't negatively effect your muscle growth. If you want the scientific stuff involved type HIIT into the search engine.

  6. #5
    LeiYunFat is offline We are all one
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Santa Maria, CA
    Posts
    5,572
    I think merciless might be on to something. If you're not afraid of side aches, maybe you could consume cals during your cardio or something.

  7. #6
    irishguy is offline Warming Up
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Merciless
    Why would you want to LOOK healthy and not really BE healthy?
    Exactly. I want to be able to run a 10k in about 3/4 months. I would rather be fit and healthy with a bit less muscle, but I think I'll just add a few more calories to the diet to compensate.

  8. #7
    Karky is offline Former member of VulgarityGang
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    had to quit when he became a mod
    Posts
    9,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Merciless
    Joey, I saw your argument about this a few weeks back. With all do respect, I'm going to have to disagree with you.

    I don't think that running causes muscle loss. I think the main issue is having enough calories to compensate for the extra calorie loss. If you don't, then muscle mass will be broken down to fuel your body as they need to come from somewhere.

    If you eat enough then your body will not need to break down the lean muscle, so both will be attainable.

    Neil Laverty is a prime example of this and he does cardio like a machine and hes in great shape and size.

    Think about it. Why do boxers, martial artists, rugby players, gymnasts, dancers, the list is endless of people who add some pounds of muscle and keep a high level of CV fitness.

    Only doing weights is being lazy, IMO. Why would you want to LOOK healthy and not really BE healthy?

    Just my 2 cents...
    Agree, if cardio is done RIGHT and with propper nutrition it wont cause muscle loss. Though, most people dont know how to do this, and alot of cardio does burn alot of cals, so lots of cardio might not be a good idea if you are just trying to get bigger.

    HIIT is a good way to do cardio, it keeps you OUT of the protein and muscle burning phase of cardio. Thing is, if you do long cardio sessiones you could start burning protein even if you have enough cals. so HIIT for life!

  9. #8
    Hoss is offline mѡr // -v
    Join Date
    Feb 1973
    Location
    In Evo's Kilt
    Posts
    6,612
    Now although muscle loss is preventable to some extent through your diet, muscle weakening isn't. If you put muscles in a hypoxic environment, they will grow more mitochondrea, and it will take up actin/myosin.


    Malkore check your pms
    Last edited by Hoss; Sep. 05/06 at 07:52 AM.

  10. #9
    malkore is offline Deceptimod
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    6,545
    ahhhh Mreik. so in other words the more long duration cardio at a high state of intensity, the more mictochondria created to combat the hypoxic environment, and thus that lowers actin/myosin filiment numbers, resulting in less ability to contract the muscle...i.e. weakens the muscle?

  11. #10
    Hoss is offline mѡr // -v
    Join Date
    Feb 1973
    Location
    In Evo's Kilt
    Posts
    6,612
    Quote Originally Posted by malkore
    ahhhh Mreik. so in other words the more long duration cardio at a high state of intensity, the more mictochondria created to combat the hypoxic environment, and thus that lowers actin/myosin filiment numbers, resulting in less ability to contract the muscle...i.e. weakens the muscle?
    Yup. I dunno the exact time/## ratio or if it's like that. I just know that consistently running will greatly slow strength gains in your legs. IMO plyo's at a cardio pace are great, they'll help your nervous system become more efficient and counter the muscle lost, so strength will stay the same, and speed possibly increase.

  12. #11
    Karky is offline Former member of VulgarityGang
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    had to quit when he became a mod
    Posts
    9,817
    Quote Originally Posted by mreik
    Yup. I dunno the exact time/## ratio or if it's like that. I just know that consistently running will greatly slow strength gains in your legs. IMO plyo's at a cardio pace are great, they'll help your nervous system become more efficient and counter the muscle lost, so strength will stay the same, and speed possibly increase.
    Clean jerks with very light weights is awsome cardio. Hell i know after my tripples im SHOT, and thats only 3 reps, but i use higher weight than you would if you went for a cardio workout

  13. #12
    Hoss is offline mѡr // -v
    Join Date
    Feb 1973
    Location
    In Evo's Kilt
    Posts
    6,612
    I'll take your word for it, you damn oly lifter.. lol j/p

  14. #13
    junkfoodbad is offline Diehard Browns Fan
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Karky
    Clean jerks with very light weights is awsome cardio. Hell i know after my tripples im SHOT, and thats only 3 reps, but i use higher weight than you would if you went for a cardio workout
    not sure how reputable the author is but...

    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler7.htm

  15. #14
    Karky is offline Former member of VulgarityGang
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    had to quit when he became a mod
    Posts
    9,817
    yeah, i dunno about the strenght thing though, i wouldnt do high reps of any oly moves to gain strenght. If you take a weight you "should" be able to preform 10 CJs with you will know what i mean

  16. #15
    Azn_Drag0n is offline Second Set
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    259
    Just keep surplus of cardio if you are gonna be running that often. Remember to eat a BIG breakfast, and try to break down your lunch into 3 portions of small lunch, and a medium sized dinner.

Similar Threads

  1. Muscle growth?
    By SmithMachine in forum Weight Training
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Dec. 03/07, 08:43 PM
  2. Uneven muscle growth
    By reynoldswanab in forum Weight Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Oct. 24/07, 02:08 PM
  3. Muscle Growth
    By Champr23 in forum Weight Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Nov. 11/05, 05:20 AM
  4. Muscle Growth
    By EpheMeroN in forum Weight Training
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Jun. 07/04, 02:52 PM
  5. muscle Growth....
    By xplosiv3 in forum Weight Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr. 21/04, 03:55 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Members: 202,775
Threads: 47,594
Posts: 399,643
Top Poster: Karky (9,817)
Welcome to our newest member, Tw352908
I'm still Sure!
Last post by Sure! ( 362 Replies )
Today 04:59 PM in Journal
Don't try this at home
Last post by Sure! ( 760 Replies )
Today 04:49 PM in Journal
hello
Last post by gapage ( 2 Replies )
Today 11:24 AM in New Member Intro
hello =)
Last post by gapage ( 2 Replies )
Today 11:23 AM in New Member Intro
Workout routine for a 14...
Last post by CrazyOldMan ( 6 Replies )
Today 03:51 AM in Weight Loss

Body Building | Supplements | Weight Loss | Sports |