Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community
Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Kev191 is offline In Orientation
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10

    Will muscle gain stunt my growth?

    Hi, this is my first post on these forums. I'm 15 years old, (almost 16) I'm around 5'8'' and 115lbs. I've never really been a strong person, or a tall person for that matter. However or the past few years I've really been growing, and still am. I am hoping to reach 6' in height. I also really want to excercise, but I heard that if I weight train (I use the Total Gym Elite if that matters) and build muscle mass, it will take away from my growth. This worries me, because I hopefully still have 2 yrs of growth left in me to reach my goal, but I also want to stay fit and gain some mass as I'm underweight. I don't want to compromise my height to put on muscle, but I also want to work on building muscle mass as soon as I can. Is this rumour true? Thanks in advance!

  2. Google
  3. #2
    Iwillgetripped is offline First Set
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    135
    Weight lifting stunts growth? Thats news to me.

    I'm 21, and after weight training for 1 year so far I have gotten 2 inches taller taking me to a 6 - 6'1 range.

  4. #3
    Kev191 is offline In Orientation
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10
    I didn't think you could grow after age 18.

  5. #4
    Iwillgetripped is offline First Set
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    135
    I did grow 1 inch when I was going from around 18-19.....

  6. #5
    Kev191 is offline In Orientation
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10
    Interesting...learn something new every day!

  7. #6
    LeiYunFat is offline We are all one
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Santa Maria, CA
    Posts
    5,550
    The rumor is false only if you train intelligently and with awareness.

  8. #7
    Streamline is offline Verge of Overtraining
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev191 View Post
    I didn't think you could grow after age 18.
    Generally women stop at 18 and men around 20 years old

    Quote Originally Posted by LeiYunFat
    The rumor is false only if you train intelligently and with awareness.
    That's fairly vague and unhelpful.

    Kev191 - Seems to me like you're going through that stage of growing upright but you probably havn't "filled out" yet. For now, you want to work with light weights doing 15 - 20 reps and NOT to failure. Since you're still growing, it's important to not go to failure. You want to start that once you've naturally filled out - which by the sounds of it is very close.

    Here's a basic resistance program:
    Supported Row
    Leg press
    Lat pulldown
    Vertical chest press
    Core exercises.

    On the subject of weight training stunting growth - That issue is still up in the air and anything you hear about that is just opinion. There's no facts about whether or not resistance training stunts growth or not.

  9. #8
    Karky is offline Former member of VulgarityGang
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    had to quit when he became a mod
    Posts
    9,801
    still up in the air, yes. Alot of people disscuss it, but that doesnt mean there isent an answer.

    How YOUNG to start weight lifting... - JP Fitness Forums
    thats a good thread about the subject

    also, try to search for Brian Grasso on this forum, i dont think he posts anymore, but he has posted quite alot of threads about young people and weightlifting, he knows what his talking about.

  10. #9
    matt182 is offline Needs to Deload
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,717
    Yeh so basically you stop growing at 18 years of age, although some may continue to grow slightly for another couple of years.

    I think the main factor that this is concerned with is ensuring that any strength exercise you decide to do is to make sure its balanced, which over time might make you hunch for example so then that would have an effect on your height. Some exercises would also be contraidictory i would imagine, you wouldnt want to stress the growth plates or anything.

    Ive seen that exercises that use your own body weight eg push ups etc are good, and as someelse mentioned high reps and light mod weights.

  11. #10
    Karky is offline Former member of VulgarityGang
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    had to quit when he became a mod
    Posts
    9,801
    read the thread i posted, Brian Grasso is a specialist in develouping strenght and athletic preformance in young kids.

  12. #11
    Streamline is offline Verge of Overtraining
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Karky View Post
    still up in the air, yes. Alot of people disscuss it, but that doesnt mean there isent an answer.

    How YOUNG to start weight lifting... - JP Fitness Forums
    thats a good thread about the subject
    There some intersting reading there, but until someone actually carries out a prooper research and study on this ie. using people for for the study (which they probably won't because it would be rediculous) then i don't believe there will be a certain deffinate answer.

  13. #12
    LeiYunFat is offline We are all one
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Santa Maria, CA
    Posts
    5,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Streamline View Post
    That's fairly vague and unhelpful.
    Well, it was a fairly vauge question. He never asked what exercises he could do to circumvent things like spinal compression, as we don't even know that he is loading his spine to begin with. A Total Gym doesn't allow for heavy deads or squats. However helpful your post may be is useless if the user doesn't even have the tools to utilize what you suggest.

  14. #13
    Karky is offline Former member of VulgarityGang
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    had to quit when he became a mod
    Posts
    9,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Streamline View Post
    There some intersting reading there, but until someone actually carries out a prooper research and study on this ie. using people for for the study (which they probably won't because it would be rediculous) then i don't believe there will be a certain deffinate answer.
    yeah, but there is really no reason why it should stunt growth, so i dont see any reason why a relativly young kid shouldnt do weight training. I know sevral people (both IRL and over the internet) who have been weighttraining for quite some time, none of them are short because of it. Im not saying it proves anything, but im yet to talk to anyone who has been short because of it, and i think alot of people will say the same.

    However, i do see your point. And i guess the decition of whether or not to do weight training in an early age would fall upon the person in question. And all we really can do is let them know how to do it propperly if they decide to do it.
    Last edited by Karky; Mar. 26/07 at 07:28 AM.

  15. #14
    LeiYunFat is offline We are all one
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Santa Maria, CA
    Posts
    5,550
    Reduced growth through loading and compression sounds plausible theoretically, but then you have to factor things in like diet and rest.

    We can see that high durations in low compression environments like swimming pools will help people grow (just look at the trend of swimmers), so therefore, the opposite SOUNDS plausible. However, I believe that IF these effects exist, there are many countermeasures you can take.

    And we're just talking about bone length. We know compression will change the density of the bone, but does this indicate anything about length? Maybe. I'm just throwing rhetorical questions out there so I sound like I'm thinking about this. I couldn't really care less.

  16. #15
    Woodt is offline Verge of Overtraining
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,330
    will the search button kill your fingers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can weight lifting stunt my growth?
    By biz123 in forum Weight Training
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Dec. 14/11, 08:25 AM
  2. Bulking Up Stunt Growth?
    By -bilal92- in forum Weight Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jan. 12/08, 12:05 PM
  3. will i stunt my growth?
    By alotliter in forum Nutrition
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Oct. 06/05, 04:13 PM
  4. want to lose 20 lbs but dont want to stunt growth
    By dashburn in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May. 02/05, 06:30 PM
  5. Does lifting weights really stunt your growth?
    By longlostcharger in forum Young Athlete Development
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun. 29/04, 03:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Which idea do you like most?
Smart-Locks
0%
Sleep-Aid Shake
0%
Social Fitness Challenge
0%
Total Votes: 0
You may not vote on this poll.
Members: 203,362
Threads: 47,604
Posts: 399,362
Top Poster: Karky (9,801)
Welcome to our newest member, dhc995
Ryan's Journal
Last post by Goldfish ( 1,221 Replies )
Today 02:30 AM in Journal
How to get ripped, not...
Last post by Goldfish ( 3 Replies )
Today 02:28 AM in Weight Training
Cardio burning muscle...
Last post by jcizz ( 3 Replies )
Yesterday 11:03 AM in Personal Training
cycling vs. running
Last post by Apathizer ( 84 Replies )
Yesterday 10:13 AM in Running and Cycling
Don't try this at home
Last post by CrazyOldMan ( 803 Replies )
Yesterday 05:41 AM in Journal

Body Building | Supplements | Weight Loss | Sports |