Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community
Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community

weight for incline bench press

I'm thinking of rotating flat and incline BP. Is incline significantly harder if i havent done it before or should i just keep the same weight i do flat BP with?

Hi junkfoodbad,

take a look here:
    bench press and overhead press same day

Do Dumbbells first of all, and yes, at first, you will need lighter weight. Personally I sweat by incline DB press. I keep the angle really now though or else it hurts my shoulders. So, if you can, use a 30 degree instead of a 45 degree bench.

You should definitely get in some inclines, but use a spotter. The motion is very weird at the beginning if youve never done them. I'm guessing you don't have heavy dumbells if youre at home, so use your bench.

I would go with 30 degress for a pure incline press, 45 and up starts hitting your shoulders a lot more.

Hoss is offline §ùþ£®áÐmÏÑ¡Š†rª‡ø® // †€µ ªñ†¡-€vØ
    I agree with the 30 degrees and spotter idea.. I personally love the BB on incline, I feel it's a great mass builder. As for the weight start off low and get the movement pattern, then progress as you see fit.

unfortunately i have a really crappy old weight bench that only does flat or 45. I'm doing military press as well in my WO, should i just hold off on this till i can get a bench that goes 30?

Well, I've done incline at 45 before, it's not too bad. It does feel awkward. If you do end up doing the 45, don't do military presses on the same day...for the sake of your shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by AJP
    Well, I've done incline at 45 before, it's not too bad. It does feel awkward. If you do end up doing the 45, don't do military presses on the same day...for the sake of your shoulders.
    well that would be substituting 1 exercise for 2. Any thing else i can get in to hit the traps that wont be as hard on the shoulders? Other than shrugs preferably. I hate shrugs.

Quote Originally Posted by junkfoodbad
    well that would be substituting 1 exercise for 2. Any thing else i can get in to hit the traps that wont be as hard on the shoulders? Other than shrugs preferably. I hate shrugs.
    Well, you hit your shoulders with a lot of exercises already. Upright rows are pretty good in my book..although I can't remember the last time I've done them, hmmm. If you have dumbells, rear delt flys, lateral raises. Some rows if done correctly will hit the traps. But man I love shrugs, I'm guessing youre using a barbell? Try using an alternating grip next time if you arent already, one hand supinated one pronated.

Quote Originally Posted by AJP
    Well, you hit your shoulders with a lot of exercises already. Upright rows are pretty good in my book..although I can't remember the last time I've done them, hmmm. If you have dumbells, rear delt flys, lateral raises. Some rows if done correctly will hit the traps. But man I love shrugs, I'm guessing youre using a barbell? Try using an alternating grip next time if you arent already, one hand supinated one pronated.
    I just feel like i have to use so much weight for shrugs to be effective

One thing im wondering is how do you know how much you should do and how many rep's?

Sets/Reps depends on the goals you are looking for. If you want PURE strength, then higher weight with reps of 4-6...if you want size and strength...then sets of 8-12.

put the bench on 45% that will work chest and front delts.
    drop the shoulder presses and do rear delt raises
    side delts will get some work with both exercises that way you do a full shoulder workout.

Hi junkfoodbad,

take a look here:
    bench press and overhead press same day