Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community
Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community

Need suggestions for diet and exercise tracking software

Greetings. I'm working with some friends to develop a web-based diet and exercise tracking application. I need the input of all you fitness pro's to do this right. If you could build the perfect program, what would it do? What wouldn't it do? Also, what tools have you used that you consider top notch? Thanks in advance.

- ddh

2. Google
    I currently use

aside from them not allowing you to make/group foods as 'meals' (you just have to put in each food item separately), bad lifestyle modifiers for calorie estimates, and they don't have a way to take your bodyfat % into account for calories, or tracking purposes.

Other than that, I like their setup.

Malkore, thanks for responding. I've heard good things about fitday.

I agree food groups are a must have. Because it's difficult to determined calories burned (we're all different), I was thinking I'd stay away from that feature. Instead my tool would allow you to create custom fitness routines. Is this something that you think is valuable? I'm looking for people to try this out while we're developing it. This way you can provide input as to what works and what doesn't work and recommend features that should be there. What do you think?

Thanks,

- ddh

I use Fit Day strickly for Food tracking. However for exercise data, I record everything with my HRM, and download times and rates to the web. I also note what I was doing during the workout, it makes a nice calendar. I wish there was combination of both these somewhere on the web.

Thanks

jimed43 thanks for you input. As I mentioned to malkore, We're planning to build the next generation exercise/diet tracking application, but I need the help you guys and gals to really get it right. BTW what does HRM stand for?

my guess is HRM is a small handheld PC like a palm pilot.

I'm not too interested in something that'll design a routine, mainly because I'm already pretty good at that. Plus the software would have to be 'intelligent' enough to know that every couple months, the routine and exercises would need to change a bit to prevent plateaus.

HRM = Heart Rate Monitor

I do all of my training and outdoor sports with this thing wire to me. It is great once you learn how your body works. I am able to target the best zones for the type of activity I am doing.