Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community
Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleep problems

It sounds like it's stress related. I know that until a thing is settled, I won't be able to sleep well and it's no sense in even trying, so I'll get up and take a walk.

If it's not entirely stress and if there are no underlying health problems (overactive thyroid comes to mind) then maybe you're getting too much rest or aren't getting enough exercise. I find that on days when I don't get to the gym and don't compensate for that in some other way, then I'm more restless at night.

One last thing: A friend of mine was absolutely unable to fall asleep easily and then when he did, he had horrible dreams. Like night terror types of dreams. Turns out that he was eating too-heavy meals too closely to bedtime. Once he pushed his eating around a bit and ate a lighter dinner, his sleep returned to normal and has been since.

Valerian might help you if you can tolerate the fairly strong smell.

thanks for all your advices as I have some sleeping disorders now and then...

I have something funny to tell you. When I wasn't able to sleep I started inventing dialogues between me and myself...no, I am not crazy, I was just bored of lying for 2 hours looking at a dark roof. As time passed by I started to make longer dialogues and finally imagining stories and now I have presented a book in some editorials and they look very interested!

Who would have said I would become a "writer" because of my insomnia? Oh, by the way, if you are thinking "how can this guy be a writer if he doesn't even know how to spell right", that's becuase I am NOT a writer and because english is not my main language

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
    I have the exact same problem. Some people get their best thinking done in the shower. I get mine done while lying awake for 2 hours. Some things that helped me were meditation, or guided meditation. That really helped for a bit. Other than that since I started increasing my physical activities, I get tired quicker. So idk, maybe add some more physical activities or check out some guided meditation. Good luck!

You say that meditation help you,but some people don't have the time for meditation, they are too much busy with their work ,for them what is your advice???????

Last edited by james02; Apr. 28/07 at 10:44 PM.

Karky is offline Former member of VulgarityGang
    well then thats the problem, they dont have time for themselves. The solution would be to make more time, dont work as much, etc.

You say that meditation help you,but some people don't have the time for meditation, they are too much busy with their work ,for them what is your advice???????
    ^^^ Thats right. Time is the biggest excuse. I am sure if you look at your day you can find time. Everyone has time. If something is important, you will find it.

On a practical note.

If you are having trouble sleeping and are lying awake for hours. You have time. If it turns lying awake for hours to meditating for 30 min and falling asleep, all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
    When I can't sleep I get back up and force myself to stay up till I can't stand it anymore. If that means I'm up a lot later than I should, well at least I'm getting stuff done and not frustrated about laying there not sleeping as the numbers on my clock tick on. Keep a tablet and a flashlight by your bed and write down things keeping you awake. THings you can jump on in the morning so you can put them out of your head for the night. When my insomnia gets really bad I take 1 tylanol PM about 30 min before I want to sleep. then I read on my couch and go to bed only when my eyes start crossing.

hahaha I was sitting here at 5:40 on a sunday morning and i wasn't going to post! that is a riot. I also get up when I cant sleep. Or my wife makes me leave the bedroom I should say.

This morning i was chit chatting about the fitness gym and whether I should go this mornin or later. She says "GO NOW!!"

Exercise before sleep! bad idea if you are doing anything other than that 40 cal/per hour activity-- what a riot 40 cals an ahour...

hahahaha
    we can sleep when we are dead. I'm wih Sparrow. and I can't stand laying there mentally masterbating myself into some weirdo place.

FF

FF is far too busy mentally FlyingFree to sleep, LOL.

FF you are a disturbed human being........... I would hate to ask about your dreams when you do sleep, LOL.

HEY!, you should listen to your wife more often!

I found a great herbal tea lately that seems to help me sleep. its called Bedtime Tea lol made by Yogi Tea. I have tried other teas such as chamomile and such but they didnt seem to work. this has a great blend of stuff! Contains valerian, chamomile, skullcap and st johns wort, to name a few.

Smile

I also have a huge problem with sleep at the minute. It started when I was physically (sp?) and mentally knackered all day every day, and when I got to bed at night (around 11pm most nights) I was exhausted but couldn't sleep. Went to the doctors, he asked a few questions about the usual, time went to bed, how much sleep etc..etc... and one of the things he though was the sleep I was getting wasn't deep enough. Fair enough answer.
    He prescribed me Amitriptyline which are actually a mild form of anti-depressant, which, if I take one around 7.30 - 8.00pm, kick in around 2 hours later for a real, deep sleep. Only problem is getting up in the morning, the eyes do not want to open, and I still feel really tired for the first hour or so (maybe that's a normal thing)
    These are working well at the minute, although last night I thought, I won't take one just to see. Ended up going to bed at midnight, wide awake for an hour, awake again at 3am, something past 5, fell out with the alarm at quarter to 7, snappy, feel ****ty at work, actually, feeling really down at the minute (although typing this is making me feel better as I can vent slightly what my head is feeling, because I feel like I have a real brain fog a lot of the time and my head feels messed up).
    Sorry for whinging at you all, this was supposed to be about sleep, next, I'll be typing my full medical history!!

Thanks everyone

Hello cian,
    I had same trouble some days. Then I work out in gym in the night. I will never stop until then. When not completely tried. After some days were find solution my problem. But it's not suitable for every human. So I will suggest you watching TV and read some historical books in the night.

Usually meditation can bring me to sleep. But if my mind is too preoccupied with many things I resort to listening to audio books pertaining to self improvement. The drone of the narration can make me sleep. Another benefit is; even if I fall asleep, my subconscious can still hear the voice and interpret the messages.

I agree with Paul, I take melatonin every time I cannot sleep and it works wonders......

Hi Cian,

I would suggest you to practice meditation to get re leaved from this problem.Meditation helps to keep your body and your mind fit and focused and helps to lead a balanced and peaceful life. Try it and see the difference for yourself.

Regards,

drink sleeping pills if the traditional alternatives won't work. Consult your doctor if it still persists.

Actually I have experienced the same thing. Why dont you try doing other thing before actually lying in bed.. instead of lying down at 1030.. go to bed by 12 since you could fall asleep by 1am. What i do is i just surf the net then after awhile i get sleepy. If its till would not work, go and consult your doctor if its really bothering you...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast