Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community
Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community

What am i doing wrong?

Ok so im 18 years old im about 6'2 250 and i cant seem to lose any weight it seems like my pants get tighter and my weight stays about the same tho. But i go to the gym 5 days aweek in the mornings around 6:45 till 8:15 or so. From there i come home eat some cereal and some kind of fruit. For lunch maybe a sandwhich from subway or a salad. And for dinner it depends on what my parents make but my dinners are late at night because i work from 4:30 till 9:30 and mostly im not hungry at work so i dont eat there. But this has been my plan for the last 3 weeks and nothing really has changed. Anyone have any ideas to help lose weight faster.

Hi interplays53,

take a look here:
    losing weight but gaining inches on waist

Have you weighted yourself to see if the scales notice a change? sometimes you dont see the change physically. How about putting some cardio into your work out routine at the gym? and when you go to work, why dont you pack some more fruit or healthy snacks....as i was told...you are suppose to eat 5-7 healthy meals a day about the size or twice the size as the human hand.

From what you have posted, I can see two things wrong. First those late dinners are not good if you going to sleep fairly soon after, especially if they contain a lot of carbs. Second, I dont think you eating enough. Believe it or not, not eating enough can be just as bad as eating too much. What your body does is it goes into starvation mode and starts storing anything that goes into your mouth. So I suggest the following.

For successive fat loss you need both exercise and proper diet. Try to get 5days/week of 40min cardio. Stick with drinking plently of water(3-4L/day, but start with 1-2 if your not drinking regularly). But in terms of what you should be eating here is what has worked for me and others I have talked to suggest.
    Decrease your fat and carb intake and increase your protein intake.
    That being said the following are excellent foods:

oatmeal, tuna, eggs, vegtables, soups, brown rice, chicken, turkey, fish, plain yogurt(astro->bio-best brand makes the best),sweet potatoes, healthy fats(natural peanut butter, olive oil, raw nuts). in terms of fruit it is good in moderation since it contains lots of natural sugars.

As well, try to eat 5-7 times per day to have your metabolism running throughout the day. Using your height, weight and age I calculated that your daily BMR is at about 3400 calories with moderate activity.
    That being said I think you should be eating at least 2500 calories to begin with. After 6-8 weeks drop that to 2000 calories and stick with that. As well, get yourself a good multivitamin and start taking those.

Im fairly confident that what I just described will help you loss fat and not muscle and water mass. As well, you will be less likely to gain it back on once you reach your goal. Good luck remember that patience is key to successive fat loss. Im always here to answer questions so post away.
    Last edited by waz; May. 11/05 at 07:29 AM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by interplays53
    Anyone have any ideas to help lose weight faster.
    Okay...first things first. Keep your diet simple and listen two your body. You nee to eat carbs before your workout for energy. (complex carbs like, fruit, multi grain bread, etc.)You need to make sure that you have protein after your workouts, especially weights...it's a must. Eat portions. Remember your stomach is not very big. I eat small things every 2hrs and I always eat within the first hour of waking up to kick start my metabolism. I get home really late and eat dinner around 8:30 so I know where your coming from. It's not a problem if you just eat a small portion, just don't jump into bed right after.

For breakfast I eat...
    Oatmeal, or a protein shake, or granola & yogourt...on the weekends I always have an egg mixed with egg whites

1st snack
    trail mix bar (or nature valley) soy nuts...I eat my carbs earlier in the day for energy.

Lunch
    sandwich & veggies, or left overs, brown rice with veggies and chicken etc.

2nd snack
    apple etc.

3rd snack
    pear or carrots etc.

Pre-workout snack
    1 peice of 12 grain bread with becel margarine (just a little)
    or a banana

Post-workout
    protein shake

Dinner...always a small portion
    BBQ chicken with veggies and a very small portion of potatoes
    or whole wheat pasta with curry sauce, veggies and shrimp
    or BBQ steak with grilled veggies

Bed time snack
    3 cups low fat popcorn
    an orange
    1c soy milk low fat

At the the end of the day I feel really full. If you eat lots lots of protein and fibre it really kepps you feeling full and your body will use it.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by waz
    As well, try to eat 5-7 times per day to have your metabolism running throughout the day. Using your height, weight and age I calculated that your daily BMR is at about 3400 calories with moderate activity.
    That being said I think you should be eating at least 2500 calories to begin with. After 6-8 weeks drop that to 2000 calories and stick with that. As well, get yourself a good multivitamin and start taking those.
    I think all of this is very good advice, except for the calories. Being that you're so tall, I wouldn't even think of going below 2500. I'm a girl and I eat 2000 calories just to maintain my weight.

Even though you say you aren't hungry, you should bring food to work to eat instead of waiting until late to eat supper. When you get home, you can have small portions of supper or something else. Definitely up your protein intake.

Quote Originally Posted by interplays53
    Ok so im 18 years old im about 6'2 250 and i cant seem to lose any weight it seems like my pants get tighter and my weight stays about the same tho. But i go to the gym 5 days aweek in the mornings around 6:45 till 8:15 or so. From there i come home eat some cereal and some kind of fruit. For lunch maybe a sandwhich from subway or a salad. And for dinner it depends on what my parents make but my dinners are late at night because i work from 4:30 till 9:30 and mostly im not hungry at work so i dont eat there. But this has been my plan for the last 3 weeks and nothing really has changed. Anyone have any ideas to help lose weight faster.
    18 years old and 6'2 and 250, are you a football player? what I wouldn't give to have those facts against my name.

I don't have the answers myself. But I don't think any of us have enough info to give sound advice. How about keeping an online diary of what you eat? By keeping a diary, you see for yourself where you go wrong and also it will keep yourself accountable.

One time I was in Denver at the Safeway and the Chinese food was calling me begging me to eat it. Normally I would. I had the veggie pack instead.

Your body may be in starvation mode. Without a diary it is hard to get useful advice from the people that know.

Everything so far is good advice... One thing that was overlooked is the fact that you have only been going for 3 weeks! That is not enough time. Be patient and good things will come. I promise you that if you follow a healthy diet (of 6 or 7 meals per day) and lift as much as you claim to be that you will lose weight and gain muscle.

Also, don't forget to drink lots of water throughout the day (1 - 1.5 gallons), and get 8 hours of sleep each night. In addition, you should throw a bit of cardio in there to burn more. Perhaps 3 days of 40 minutes of cardio at 75% of your MHR would be perfect.

Stick to your plan and realize that this takes some time to accomplish.

Gambatte kudasai (keep your chin up),
    Rip

Hi interplays53,

take a look here:
    losing weight but gaining inches on waist