Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community
Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How can I lose weight?

HI,
    I am 17 years old and I weigh about 320lbs and 6 feet 5 inches tall. I have been trying to lose weight for quite a while but nothing seems to be working.

I currently exercise/ workout 6 days a week. My workout consists of:
    - half mile jog.
    - 11 100M drills (High knees, butt kickers, skips, etc)
    - 10 60 yard sprints.
    - 2 hours of lifting (bench, leg press, etc)

I feel like that should be enough to lose more than I have (10lbs since like October).

What can I do to see the weight go away faster?

CrazyOldMan is offline Blood, check, sweat, check, tears, check. That's the warm up done.
    Andrew

I am going to make some assumptions, many could be wrong but they are common beginners issues most of us will have made some of, self included.

Not understanding how much body matter weighs. Most will know that muscle weighs more than fat, few really appreciate why or how much. Muscles is around half water, and that is seriously heavy stuff, fat is actually very light. So gaining 7 pounds of muscle and losing the same of fat will see you becoming a lot smaller. Really low tech way of seeing how much of a difference there is put some trimmed fat and lean meat in water and see how much fat there is above the waterline compared to the lean meat.

Not varying training. I did the same first workout for years as a child, my reward was getting really good at those movements, I looked the same and gained nothing else. Exercise is about overload, and to do this you need variety. I tend to recommend changing weight sessions around every 2 months (8 weeks) for maximum benefit, the exact time is personal. Aerobic training is something you can shuffle as often as you like as this is at a lower intensity and usually lower risk, usually.
    You are going for a varied program, which is good, but I would say the 2 hours weights will be very low intensity based on the 2 hours. At 17 and 6'5" you are likely to have finished most of your growing so can start upping the anti on the weight training, doing more in shorter sessions, check out http://training.fitness.com/young-at...ram-50627.html by Goldfish, one of our best generic trainers.
    By shortening the weights sessions while increasing the intensity, which will burn more energy both during and after when recovering, you will free up time for more cardio work. There are people who will declare low intensity static state cardio doesn't aid weight loss, this is incorrect, doing only low intensity static state cardio will make weight loss very slow, but as part of a varied program this is a very good system. You are doing sprints and mini circuits now to cover the interval/ circuit level intensity, so with an increase in high intensity and static state you will be making your body work in all levels, making it burn more energy and see all muscle as too valuable to consume. Vary what you do as much as you can, biking, steps (electronic or real, jogging, rowing, walking swimming.

The big one you haven't covered, diet. There is a good reason the first three letters of this spell die, get it seriously wrong and you will kill yourself. I don't know what you eat but my normal system is to recommend the 10% diet, eat exactly what you do now but 10% less, normally combined with `10% increase in activity, but that has been covered. Unless you eat 5 pounds of lard, sugar or meat a day don't start looking to cut things out, just eat normally and slightly less. Burning more energy will aid burning fat store, but if you have increased your intake to compensate this won't help.

Realistic expectations. 10 pounds in over 6 months is slow loss, but it's still loss and there is a way to put the loss into perspective below, also take note that this is assuming you haven't gained an ounce of muscle which is unlikely.
    1 pound fat = 3,500 calories
    Minimum daily requirement for someone your size = 2,000 calories
    10 pounds lost = 35,000 calorie deficit
    35,000 calories = 17.5 days minimum intake
    So you have burned the equivalent of not eating for 2.5 weeks, assuming no muscle gains. This isn't the fastest loss but be sensible and see this as a success.
    The danger zone. People see weight loss at great and faster as automatically better, don't. Below is an illustration of the reality of quick losses and what follows assuming the diet is actually sensible. In most cases the diet is far from sensible but this is something to be thinking about.
    Energy consumed daily = 2,000 calories, well balanced, high starch, sensible protein (not high), low fat
    Energy burned daily = 2,500 calories, due to training
    Daily deficit = 500 calories
    Weekly fat loss = 1 pound
    First week weight loss = 5 pounds
    Water loss = 3.9 pounds
    Lean mass gain = 0.1 pound
    Second week weigh gain = 4 pounds
    fat loss = 1 pound
    Water gain = 4.8 pounds
    Lean mass gain = 0.2 pound
    The lesson here is know what you are burning and eating. If you know the scales are showing a loss that is way beyond the deficit of fat, it's water, and the weight you lost will be found very soon. Being mentally prepared for this helps. The 5 pound loss above would required a 17,500 calorie deficit, the amount of food you would be burning in 5 days so unless you knew you had burned a full weeks food while consuming 2 days worth (stupidly dangerous) then much of it is water.
    The maximum weight loss you should ever aim for is around 2 pounds a week, this requires a 1,000 calorie a day deficit and is treading the line toward starvation zone. 1 pound a week is impressive because this is 500 calories a day continuous deficit. Truth is if you are training and dieting over a long time and losing anything this it good news, steady losses tend to stay gone far more often.

Liquid diet. I am referring to the most commonly ignored areas of calorie consumption. People will happily sit with their friends over their 4th or 5th pint complaining how they can't understand why they cant lose weight they barely eat a thing. It would be more funny if I hadn't seen it so often.
    Last edited by CrazyOldMan; May. 08/14 at 02:02 AM.

From what you've said I would guess that diet may be the biggest contributing factor to why you're not losing as much weight as you want. You don't need to make big drastic changes but I would suggest trying to reduce the amount of sugar in your diet as a start

Just reading what you are describing here and discussing your own frustrations with the weight loss (or lack thereof) it sounds as though you may have to review your daily caloric intake if you want to lose weight faster. While you should not drop too many calories (you do not want your body running out of energy) but you could possibly reduce your caloric intake a bit more, thus increasing your weight loss.

I was wondering if you are also having an diet while having an exercise cause it is also a key to lose weight and my personal trainer at foreverclub.fi said that i should do diet at the same time exercise to reach what i wanna reach.
    Last edited by BasketLady; Jun. 07/14 at 03:29 AM.

With proper diet and exercise you can achieve your weight goal. Having an active and healthy lifestyle can help you to lose weight easily. Hydrating our body is very important so we need to drink plenty of waters a day to flush the toxins in our body. Also track your meal and avoid eating salty and fatty foods like junk foods. Change your unhealthy foods to healthier foods.

It's natural for anyone trying to lose weight to want to lose it very quickly. But evidence shows that people who lose weight gradually and steadily are more successful at keeping weight off. A healthy diet and proper exercise help you to lose your weight quickly. Walking and running is ideal exercises for weight loss: It doesn’t require any equipment. Vigorous swimming can burn anywhere from 400 to 700 calories an hour. swimming can burn anywhere from 400 to 700 calories an hour. All types of swimming are effective for helping you shed pounds. Bicycling is another low-impact, high-rewards activity for losing weight. Except these an experienced trainer at home or at the gym helps you to get a low-impact, full body workout. I recruited an experienced trainer for 6 months from Stay Strong PT for reducing my excessive weight. and now I am very happy to see myself.

Diets for Fast Weight Loss

Dansinger recommends eating a diet that minimizes starches, added sugars, and animal fat from meat and dairy foods. For rapid weight loss, he recommends focusing on fruits, veggies, egg whites, soy products, skinless poultry breasts, fish, shellfish, nonfat dairy foods, and 95% lean meat.

Here are more tips from Dawn Jackson Blatner, RD, author of The Flexitarian Diet :

Eat vegetables to help you feel full.
    Drink plenty of water.
    Get tempting foods out of your home.
    Stay busy -- you don't want to eat just because you're bored.
    Eat only from a plate, while seated at a table. No grazing in front of the 'fridge.
    Don't skip meals.

Aerobic exercises help you burn overall fat on the body. These exercises include running, jogging, sprinting, cycling, swimming and jumping rope.A healthy, controlled diet will add to your caloric deficit, helping you lose weight.With diet and exercise, the weight on your body will reduce proportionately.

You will need to maintain your routine diet in order to lose weight. Avoid junk foods, alcohol and sugary foods. Also, follow weight loss workout programs and stick to it. Remember, unless you work hard you won't be able to lose even a single pound.

Eat high protein foods and don't forget to eat breakfast all the time.

Watch what you are eating. I trained for a half-marathon and was convinced I was going to lose weight because of all the running I had to do leading up to the race. Well, that didn't happen.

Looking back, while I was eating healthy things, I was absolutely eating too much. It is possible to even have to much good food. Take a look at what you are eating and see if you are overeating at all because you allow yourself to eat more to compensate for working out. That's what I had done.

Hi,
    I have came cross 3 Ayurveda ways to reduce weight, can anyone following this and have seen the results? though it is Ayurveda it has no side effects and it is easy and economical.
    It is like one Ayurveda drink before going to bed and after waking up in the morning and conscious breathing exercise wherever and whenever we have 5 minutes. The site is aboutbmi.com
    Please let me know if anybody has tried out or anybody is trying it and seeing the results.
    I want to lose my weight in 8 to 16 weeks without any side effects.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraStrength View Post
    Hi,
    I have came cross 3 Ayurveda ways to reduce weight, can anyone following this and have seen the results? though it is Ayurveda it has no side effects and it is easy and economical.
    It is like one Ayurveda drink before going to bed and after waking up in the morning and conscious breathing exercise wherever and whenever we have 5 minutes. The site is aboutbmi.com
    Please let me know if anybody has tried out or anybody is trying it and seeing the results.
    I want to lose my weight in 8 to 16 weeks without any side effects.

Thanks
    Be careful of the 'tools' you use to lose weight. Once your target weight is reached, and you stop using those 'tools', you'll likely gain the weight back because the thing responsible for losing the weight is no longer in use (pills, drinks, etc). Your old eating habits were responsible for your being overweight to begin with, otherwise you wouldn't need to lose weight. The biggest problem to those who lose weight is finding that they gain the weight back once they 'go off' the diet that helped them lose weight, they don't realize that their old diet was the culprit.

The only healthy and permanent way to lose weight is to lower caloric intake (change your eating habits) and increasing caloric output (exercise).

I went from 275 pounds to 135 pounds simply by changing my diet. (those numbers aren't typos!) If I can do it, anyone can do it.

In my opinion, only doing exercise and consuming less diet can't lose our fats. We need to take some supplementary medications for this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast