Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community
Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community

Will running increase my vertical?

Hi I'm 14 and I have a question. Will just running around for a few miles each day increase my vertical? I already have about a 30" but I want to gain some inches to dunk easily.

bump....

Not significantly. A vertical requires one-shot, all-out, and explosive muscle contraction which long distance running doesn't utilize in order to train. Sprint interval training would come closer to training the system that you need, but plyometrics would be the most effective. Endurance running is still a good idea though, as you want the endurance to be able to recover and dunk more than just once or twice.

Goldfish is offline Request Title Change from Admin
    ^ This. Endurance is good to have in general, but the main elements of training you want to work on cirulate around power. Strength and speed training (eg heavy squats and deadlifts; sprinting) will help a lot with the components of power, while direct power training such as plyometrics and loaded exercises like speed pulls and high pulls will bring strenght and speed together into power, which is what you need to get that distance between the ground and your body.

It depends on what kind of shape you are already in. If you are in poor shape, running (long distance) will help get you in shape which would probably help your vertical jump some. If you are already in pretty good shape, the long distance running probably will not do much.

The vertical leap is an explosive movement. To improve it, you must use explosive training. Sprints would be more effective (if you want to use running) because they are an explosive movement as well.

new here bump

Quote Originally Posted by Jrahien View Post
    Not significantly. A vertical requires one-shot, all-out, and explosive muscle contraction which long distance running doesn't utilize in order to train. Sprint interval training would come closer to training the system that you need, but plyometrics would be the most effective. Endurance running is still a good idea though, as you want the endurance to be able to recover and dunk more than just once or twice.
    Running may help activated the fast twitch muscle fibers but plyometrics will developed your leaping ability.

Quote Originally Posted by BionicMan2K View Post
    Running may help activated the fast twitch muscle fibers but plyometrics will developed your leaping ability.
    I agree with you

Will running increase my vertical

What an awesome list Will has given me so much more than I ever dreamed possible.