Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community
Fitness.com The Global Fitness Community

Getting your butt in shape

I'm new to this forum and I've already posted some questions/comments in other parts of the forum. I'm not really a body builder, but I ventured into this part of the forum because I figured that someone here will be able to give some additional advice. I'm almost 48 and I ran for about 20 years. In spite of that, I have a weird body in that my upper body is really cut (from a lot of swimming that I did in college) but my thighs are not -and you'd think they'd be from all those years of running. Instead, I've battled with fat in my upper thighs and butt. I actually have had some cellulite and my rear end is not "tight". However, in the past 8 months, I've changed my diet and cut out practically all sugar ( I was a sugaraholic for years) and I also started to INCREASE my intake of olive oil and other fats as opposed to having been on a low fat diet for many years, trying to avoid high fat food. I'm focusing on whole milk, eggs, cheeses, and olive oil as the sources of my fat. I continue to eat a lot of carbs and I am not a real big meat eater. I've combined that with some free weight training on my legs - lunges mainly. I also use a machine to do leg curls for the backs of my thighs. I do not use a squat bar because I have issues with my neck and whenever I use it, I get terrible headaches from the weight of the bar resting on my neck. I combine my weight training with the use of a stair stepper for cardio workouts on my legs. So, my current issue is that my butt cheeks are kind of saggy and I'm really having a hard time getting them cut. Are there more free weight exercises that I might be able to do to get my rear end more firm?

Hi musikfan,

take a look here:
    LEAN PM Night Time Fat Burner

3. Google
    Run stairs. Find a set of stairs that are not too steep and that are 30 or more steps high. Start off by running up one flight of stairs, then walk down one. Next, run up two flights and walk down one. Finally, run up three flights and walk down one, completing the circuit. Complete the whole circuit as many times as possible in 20 minutes.
    If you are having a hard time finding stairs, check the local high school stadium or local sports field. Bleachers are great for this work out.[1]
    If you find yourself unsteady, use the handrail just to be safe.
    Make sure there are no other people on the stairs. You don't want to hit them and it will also make you unstable.
    This is a great cardio exercise as well as beneficial for your legs. The more your heart rate is up, the more fat and calories you will burn. Do this exercise for longer periods of time to increase intensity and burn more calories.

Squating has made wonders for me..

Hi musikfan,

take a look here:
    LEAN PM Night Time Fat Burner